This month’s Recipe Redux is “Orange You Glad It’s Fall”? The answer is a resounding YES! Fall is my favorite season with its cooler temperatures, changing leaves and of course, football. But mainly it means pumpkin is in season, and I have a slight obsession! Actually I pretty much love all orange produce this time of year, but pumpkin is one of my favorites, and I like to use it in various ways like Pumpkin Cranberry Muffins, Pumpkin French Toast, Roasted Pumpkin, Squash and Apple Soup, and Turkey Pumpkin Chili to name a few.
I toyed with different ideas, but the one that I’ve been wanting to do for a while won out and that is Slow Cooker Pumpkin Pie Steel Cut Oats. I love this Apple Pie Steel Cut Oats recipe and have been wanting to adapt it to use with pumpkin. It is perfect for throwing together at night before bed so that when we wake up in the morning, the house smells wonderful and breakfast is ready.
This method of cooking oats in the slow cooker is more like steaming and it is much less of a mess to clean up too, which is a bonus! I use a Pyrex 2.5 quart glass bowl that fits nicely inside the stoneware of my 6 quart slow cooker and then create a water bath around it. I have found that cooking 7 hours on low is about the right amount of time in my slow cooker, and then my cooker automatically switches to warm until we are ready to eat. If you want to cook it longer, you may need to add a little more liquid so it doesn’t get too gummy, though that can always be remedied by adding some extra milk before eating. Enjoy!
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- ½ cup ground flax seed
- 1 cup pumpkin
- ½ cup apple butter
- 2 tbsp maple syrup or brown sugar
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 3 cups soy milk (you could also use milk or another milk alternative)
- In a large Pyrex bowl or glass dish that will fit inside your slow cooker insert, combine oats, flax seed, pumpkin, apple butter, maple syrup and pumpkin pie spice.
- Slowly pour in the soy milk and stir to combine.
- Carefully place the bowl with all of your ingredients in the slow cooker insert. Fill the insert with water until it reaches the same level as the ingredients in the bowl. Cover the slow cooker insert with the lid and cook on low for 7 hours.
- When finished cooking, stir, and enjoy!