Every now and then I get a whim to veer from my planned menu and create a dish based upon my mood. Sometimes it needs tweaking and other times I surprise myself at how good the first time is! The is one of those latter times.
I had planned on making my Ravioli Zucchini Casserole but since we had recently had spaghetti, I just wasn’t into it when it came time for dinner. Since I had just stocked the kitchen in preparation for SnowJam 2 here in Atlanta, I had extra ingredients around to put to use. There is a little more prep time involved, but it still comes together fairly fast. Enjoy!
- 4 chicken sausage links such as Trader Joe's Asiago Vegetable, sliced (optional)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ½ onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 zucchini, quartered and sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 3 cups loosely packed torn kale leaves, stems removed
- 2 (9 oz) packs cheese ravioli such as Buitoni
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2½ cups milk
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese
- ½ teaspoon dried sage
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup shredded part skim mozzarella cheese
- In a large pan, cook sausage until cooked through and slightly browned. Remove from pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, heat olive oil. Add garlic, onion, peppers, and zucchini. Cook for 5 minutes or until softened. Add kale and cook another 3-5 minutes covered or until kale begins to wilt.
- In a greased 9x13 pan, spread out one pack of ravioli. Add half the sausage and half the vegetables. Repeat layers with the remaining ravioli, sausage and vegetables.
- Using the same large pan, melt 1 tablespoon of butter. Whisk in flour and scrape up any browned bits. Slowly add milk, whisking to combine well. Bring to a low boil then lower heat and simmer until thickened, about 5 to 10 minutes. Stir in Parmesan, sage and black pepper.
- Pour sauce over ravioli casserole. Top with mozzarella cheese.
- Cover with foil (spray the inside of foil with cooking spray to prevent cheese from stickingI) and bake in a pre-heated 350 degree oven for 20 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 5 minutes, or until sauce is bubbling and cheese is beginning to brown.
(And next time I make it, I’ll get better pictures! But I wanted to go ahead and share anyway.)